Thursday, January 26, 2006

New Sketchbook ワ~イ!


I recently had gotten a new sketchbook after finishing my 3rd sketchbook in NY...so that would be 3 sketchbooks within 5- months, I think that's pretty good pace.

So for my new book I decided to try out a moleskin. This is what the masters used, so maybe it will add something to my sketches. They're really nice...but there are some bad in addition to the good points.

Good=
-They are small and pretty portable
-It's bound in some sort of leather like material and has a very nice presentation.
-The paper is pretty nice, it's toned too which could work for me if i decide to get more instense with my sketches.
-They handle felt marker and ink pens pretty well, so far the micron tech pens and staedler brush pens work the best for me.
-It's bound so that you can do a whole spread as one page; you can open it flat with no problem. This is probably the best thing about moleskins.

Bad=
-The paper is way too smooth and doesn't hold watercolor, sumi ink, or loose graphite and charcoal very well.
-They're expensive
-The size can work against it sometimes, it's good to carry around but obviously my workspace is limited.

What sucks the most is that it doesn't take the mediums I mentioned above...I heard fabriano makes a smallsized watercolor sketchbook, but I haven't found one yet. If only the moleskin had more absorbent paper...it would be perfect.

Anyway, here are some pics that I have scanned in from it. Enjoy!





2 comments:

Alec Longstreth said...

That's RAD that you plowed through 3 sketchbooks in 5 months. (SO inspiring!) I get so nervous when I draw people on the train, but seeing these, I know I need to GET OVER IT. I'll draw more in my sketchbook if you draw some more Comics--deal? ;)

AO said...

honestly i'm still pretty nervous drawing on the subway, especially lately for some reason, but you do get used to it in a way and despite me being nervous sometimes i'm still able to get good sketches.

you have urself a deal with the comics, i have all day at work tommorrow to try and get at least a panel or two done!