Friday, September 29, 2006

Neuroplasticity



So here's a comp of my new illustration. It's supposed to be a piece for Time Magazine's 100 people issue. My person is Richard Davidson, he did research on neuroplasticity by studying TIbetan monks. It seemed the most interesting to me so I took it up.

Basically, I worked out some ideas and wanted to make the eastern influence is clear, also to make sure the subject, neuroplasticity is communicated.
I did some research, went to the Reuben Museum of Art (which I reccommend)and decided to use eastern/oriental art as a motif. Also to have the guy meditating on a brain that looks similar to the asian style clouds that I see in much of eastern art.

As for my process, it was inked, scanned, then colored and messed with in photoshop. I used some gradients here and there to get that smooth and flat color look, then painted on top for some parts. I made a custom texture by scanning part of a batik that my dad had left from West Africa.

Not sure if it's done yet, i just sent it in for approval, so we'll see what corrections i'll have to do if any.

No comments: