Monday, September 01, 2008

A small update

So...I'm in Japan.

I want to make this short...because I'm in an internet cafe and I can't stay too long. I won't have stable internet for at least another few days, but I'll be able to get into more detail once I do.

So, let's see...

I've been in Osaka, Japan for almost 3 weeks now. My trip over here was fine, and until recently I was staying with an old friend. Luckily but not without an incredible amount of hassle and frustration I was able to acquire an apartment of my own...but that's the first jumped hurdle of many many more that are here in the land of the rising sun.

I'm here teaching English, which is what everyone and their mothers do to teach English...and I haven't started yet, but tomorrow is my first official day.

Right now, my mood is a sloshy mix of excitement, frustration, lonliness and hope. ...though my frothy mix of feelings is tipping over with large helping of frustration.

Most of it lies in that I truly am a "foreigner." I'm a spectacle, a walking curiosity, yet I feel untouchable and at times unwanted.

This could be for a myriad of reasons, but I'm afraid that being an unstereotypical black guy on top of being a foriegner itself has a smidge of blame in this.

I don't want to knock Japan at all. I do like it, and when I've been introduced to people or had obligated interactions it's been nothing but good. But my day to day involves being gawked at and mentioned in passing by people who don't think I can understand Japanese.

Of course, this could all be something with me too, and maybe I should be all smiles and put on a show of sorts...

Anyway, like I said I'll explain in more detail late, but from my understanding, it seems that I have to walk on eggshells and be a model citizen to get by.

Ugh...well...there are a lot of good things here besides that, and I'm happy to have good friends, good supervisors/coworkers, and most of all, my lovely girlfriend for their support and company.

Alright, I guess my time's up. I feel bad that I wrote what is seems to be a mostly negative entry, but I'll write a more balanced, in-depth look into my life once I can get internet.

...With pictures too!

2 comments:

Alec Longstreth said...

Good luck over there Ajani. It sounds very difficult, but also like a unique experience. Take what you can from it and stay strong! I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Cara Lynn said...

Hi. I'm glad to hear about your adventure. Best wishes with your new job!