Sunday, January 11, 2009

2008 Review in Pictures part 2- Editorial (?) Illustrations

Alright, so last time I briefly spoke about my time in the Graphic Design class at Pratt. Since that time, I took it upon myself to venture elsewhere, and if it isn't already obvious I have been in Japan working as a teacher for almost 5 months.

The truth is that it has been tough...or rather, a challenge to survive in Japan. But the reason behind that is not so much Japan, but really has to do with my own personal issues and situations.

Regardless, it has been a very big change from my lifestyle in New York City. One thing being, of course, that my job changed from being an assistant, working part time, and having a mild amount of responsibility, to a full time teacher. Though I am still considered an assistant, I have definitely had times where I have been worked as a real teacher, and my responsibilities are much greater than that of my former occupation.

One of my concerns about a job like this was if I would be able to continue my art and sketches to the same degree that I had been doing in New York. I expected that I would be really inspired by Japan, so the creative juices would flow, but I still have a job to do, which would probably take up all of my time.

The strange thing is that somehow, I am doing more art work here. Actually, the amount of sketching that I do has dropped, which is a bit of a disappointment. But while that has happened, my actual Illustration work has slightly increased, due in part to being able to use my skills on the job. *mini gripe* I wish I was doing paid Illustration though...

Once the secret was out at that I had some drawing skills, I was, at first, overwhelmed by the amount of work everyone was asking of me. This was on top of all the lesson making, and classes. Frankly speaking, I was not required at all to draw anything, or do half the things that I did, but I kept it up anyway. When it comes down to it, I really do enjoy making art for my job. Sure, I get frustrated sometimes, but the time melts away when I'm drawing or painting, as opposed to writing up a lesson plan. So I'd rather do than not do.

One of things that was requested of me was two illustrations for the monthly school newspaper. I think what happened is that they didn't have enough to write about and they needed something to fill the space, but I was happy to help anyway.

They asked me to do two illustrations...immediately. I only had 2 or 3 hours to come up with an idea and execute the whole thing, and I did it, without much problem.

Both were small articles the detailed on the achievements of the sports clubs in recent matches.


The volleyball team had won a local tournament. I didn't know it was the boy's volleyball team though, but no one said anything to me, so I guess they were cool with it.


Also, the baseball team had done well. The blurb in the circle just mentions that I had drawn these Illustrations for them.

I still have about two or three updates left. I could do everything at once, but I want to space things out so I have more overall content on this blog and so I have consistent updates.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Chaosmeika said...

ha ha, those are actually pretty good. I loved the Baseball one a lot. It's a shame about the volleyball issue. It reminded of my high school days drawing for the school newspaper. Deadlines were always tight because the story would finish right before it went to print, so the editors always came to me on the day of, or the day before for art. The stress sucked, but I loved drawing for a class. I hope you're finding the same enjoyment.